Thursday, January 17, 2013

Soups

With the weather back in the 20's and teens after our January Thaw in NY... soups sound wonderful!!!  Over at Kelly's Korner she is doing a link up with soup recipes and I decided to join in... hoping to get some new ideas.

These are two that I really like... Although these are not healthy they are tasty... isn't that what good food is all about???  Fatty and tasty:)

Cream of Broccoli and Cheddar soup- From William Sonoma Soup cook book
1 1/2 pounds broccoli trimmed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup flour
5 Cups Chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 cups milk
1/2 pound cheddar cheese

Directions:

1. coarsley chop broccoli and set aside
2. in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until it begins to brown 5-7 minutes. sprinkle in flour and saute, stirring for about 1 minute more. whisking, slowly pour in the stock. add the chopped broccoli, thyme, and lemon juice and bring to boil. reduce to low and cover, simmer until the broccoli is very tender about 20 m inutes.
3. in small batches, puree the soup in a food mil, return the puree to the pan and stir in milk and bring to a simmer over low heat
4. sprinkle the cheese into the soup, stir over low heat until cheese melts


The second I love is from here... Crockpot makes it even better!!

(Recipe is from here )
EASY CROCKPOT POTATO SOUP
1 30oz. bag of frozen, shredded hash browns {I used Ore Ida}
3 14oz. cans of chicken broth
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1 pkg. cream cheese {don’t use fat free.  It WON’T melt!!!}


Hope you enjoy and I can't wait to try some of the ones that are linked to Kelly's Korner:)

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Just found your blog from Kelly's Korner...I had to comment since I hardly see any other blogs from NY! I'm from Syracuse, my husband is from Queens and now we live around Binghamton. :)

Your little ones are too cute! :)

Jillian said...

I love soup!! My husband will not eat them:( such a bummer!